Thursday, October 21, 2010

Good Bye Tomato - Hello Macker.

No, I didn't edit the colors in this photo.
This was the last of my tomatoes to come out of my garden this year. I should have eaten it raw because they are so damn good, but I made an equally damn good macaroni and cheese with it instead. OK, so (as my mom would say(lol)) I jazzed it up a little. I should have taken a pic of the macker (as Thomas has dubbed it), but I was too hungry, sorry. Not to toot my own horn or anything but, trust me you would have dove right in too, it was that tasty. So I would highly recommend making this pasta dish. Its fast, easy, satisfying, it is sure to fool your kids that they are NOT eating vegetables and it is a welcomed twist on an old classic.


Serves 4


6 cups cooked pasta
2 HEIRLOOM OR FRESH GARDEN TOMATOES (NOT hydro store bought tomatoes, unless you are not concerned with the results in which I would just recommend buying yourself some crappy boxed version instead. Its cheaper and will probably sit in your stomach longer since it is all processed :))
3 Cloves Fresh Garlic
1 tsp butter
1/4 - 1/2 cup organic milk
1/2 tsp flour
1/2 cup sharp cheddar, shredded
1/2 cup parmesan, shredded (set aside for a little to sprinkle on top)
chopped parsley for sprinkling on top
1/2 cup gruyere, shredded
salt and pepper


Cook up your favorite pasta ( I used bow tie... The kid loves them)  and set aside. Toss the garlic and tomato in a blender or food processor and puree, set aside. Next in a sauce pan, on med heat, add butter and flour (make a rue) stirring for about 30 seconds. Slowly stir in  most of milk, leaving the remainder on the sidelines. Turn heat down to med-low. Next add the cheese one handful at a time, while stirring. If the cheese sauce seems too stiff, add just a little more milk until it is almost creamy. Lastly, take a deep breath cause here is where all the magic happens. Stir in the tomato garlic puree... mmm. It should be smelling really good right abouuut             .....now.  You should also be thinking this is way too easy because quite frankly it is. Toss in pasta and cheese sauce together and top with the parmesan and parsley. Serve and enjoy! Scott send me a message and I will bring some down to the office for everyone... HAHA a test to see how much of my blog your really reading or just to see if your can read at all.  It's OK, you know you love me.



2 comments:

  1. Cannot wait to try this at home....actually I would prefer you to make it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like my recipe, only I also add cottage cheese. I like to top with crunched up potato chips, too (if that's not too unorganic for ya'). Now I want some mac and cheese...

    ReplyDelete