Saturday, November 13, 2010

Lumpy Pea and Potato Soup


There are certain things that remind me of fall. Pumpkin pie, acorn squash, hot apple cider... At  my house it doesn't get much more fall-like than a bowl full of lumpy fiberlicious split peas... mmm. (Erin, take note, JC wants you to make him some soup. This one is impossible to muff up and I'm sure you can get your hands on all of these ingredients south of the border. But I know summer has arrived so save it for a chilly day in Chile.) If you wanted to dress up this soup a little bit you can always add some crispy pancetta and asigo cheese to top it off or even a squeeze of lemon. This insanely easy recipe is as follows:

yields 4 servings
5 cups chicken stock
1 1/4 cup dried peas
10 baby yukon gold potatoes
½ white onion chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbsp butter
salt and pepper to taste

In a pot bring chicken stock to rapid boil. Add all of the above ingredients EXCEPT the potatoes. Boil on med high, covered, for about 25 mins. Add pototoes and simmer on low, covered, for about another 25 mins. Make sure the peas are soft. ...and Voila!! Soup that is easy on both your backside and wallet. Not to mention easy to make and extra tasty on a crisp fall day. It tastes even more delicious after it rests for a few hours allowing time for all of the flavors meld together, so make extra for later as well!

2 comments:

  1. This soup looks yummy. You are reminding me how much I miss cooking. Pea soup was one of my favorite fall/winter dishes. I'll have to try this one. Good job!
    Oh, and I like to cook AND bake...at least I did in another life...and I think I did both pretty well...I'm just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol... We all know your a master chef Susan! Bust out those pots & pans!

    ReplyDelete